The heating system in your Newnan, GA, home is engineered to keep your household cozy and warm for many years. Even the best designed heater, however, will suffer in performance without proper care. Timely repairs and regular maintenance not only help keep everything running at optimal efficiency but can extend the system’s service life as well. When it comes to trouble shooting your heating system, here are a few do’s and don’ts to keep in mind.
DIY vs Professional Repair
While there are some maintenance tasks that you can perform yourself, you’ll need help from a qualified heating contractor for repairs that make sure that your heater runs at peak efficiency. If you rely on a fuel-burning heater or boiler to keep your family warm, you’ll want professional care to ensure safe operation too. Our highly experienced HVAC technicians use specialized diagnostic tools to identify and address problems quickly and efficiently. Steps that you can take yourself to lessen the need for repairs include:
- Change your heater’s air filter every month during the heating season or more often if needed.
- Vacuum air vents and registers regularly and make sure that they’re not blocked by rugs, curtains or furnishings.
- Inspect any air ducts in your attic, garage or crawl space for signs of leaks or broken seams.
- Keep the area around your furnace or boiler clear of clutter.
Heater Trouble Shooting
Whether you own a furnace, boiler or heat pump, your heater is made up of multiple parts and components designed to work in perfect synchronization. Most heaters will continue to operate even if one part begins to falter or fail, making it difficult to trouble shoot problems. A well-timed fix can keep a small malfunction from developing into a major repair or breakdown. The following signs often indicate that your heater needs immediate professional attention:
- Persistent cold spots in your living spaces
- Poor air flow from vents
- Rooms fail to reach the temperature set on your thermostat
- Your heater begins to make unusual noises
- Furnace pilot flame is yellow instead of blue
- Monthly energy bills are unexpectedly high
Prompt professional repair services from the experts at Merrell & Associates can help keep a minor heater annoyance from turning into a costly repair. Preventive heater maintenance helps ensure that problems don’t arise in the first place. During a routine seasonal checkup, our HVAC technicians can identify any potential problem and often address it on the spot. At Merrell & Associates, our goal is to enhance your comfort with energy-efficient products and services that save you money on operating costs, too. Check out our specials.