Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning fuel, such as gasoline, natural gas, wood, charcoal, and propane. In your Carrollton, GA home, your furnace, clothes dryer, water heater, oven, or fireplace may produce carbon monoxide. A carbon monoxide alarm is designed to alert you to unsafe levels of this tasteless, colorless, and odorless gas. Follow these tips to safely check and operate your home’s carbon monoxide alarm.

Test Your Carbon Monoxide Alarm

You should test your carbon monoxide detector at least every six months. It’s a good idea to check it and your smoke alarms at the same time. You may want to test the alarm more frequently if your household includes a baby, pregnant woman, or senior citizen. People in these groups are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning, explains the Minnesota Department of Health.

Replace Your Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Carbon monoxide detectors have a lifespan of five to seven years. This includes battery-powered and hard-wired alarms. Each manufacturer’s product varies a little, so it’s a good idea to refer to the owner’s manual or look up the product information on the manufacturer’s website. If it’s been more than seven years since you installed the alarms in your home, replace them. Most community building codes require that these alarms be placed within 10 feet of every bedroom in your home.

Be Aware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

If your home’s power goes out, a hard-wired carbon monoxide alarm may not sound. Having a battery backup alarm is key to your safety. During power outages, many people rely on generators, portable propane heaters, or grills. The use of these appliances puts you at an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, nausea, confusion, sleepiness, loss of coordination, and loss of consciousness.

To learn more about how to use your home’s carbon monoxide alarm, check out Merrell & Associates’ indoor air quality solutions, or call us today for additional details.